To Take something at Face Value
The dictionary defines it as – to accept someone or something just as it appears.
Well, we Indians have been guilty of doing this for quite some time now. You want examples, you say??? Well here you go
- Honey Singh music – Well, I dare you to ask some of this teens and Post Teens of today with FB statuses as – “Not Working, Still Studying ha ha ha”, 20 years from now about their favorite Honey Singh song. I guarantee most of them will draw a blank. In fact most of them will ask you to check their spotify profile to confirm. The guy is just that. Even I have some of his songs in my day to day playlist, but I still change it with an occasional Rahman song every now and then
- Politician Promises – whether it be your Aam Aadmi Kejriwaal or your devta PM Narendra Modi, the promises they made during the election would never be fulfilled immediately. You either have to see your expectations dwindle down during the first 6 months itself or wait the full 5 years for him to implement a part of the plan. You have got to be patient. Politics is like advertisement. You never get what you are promised fully.
- Indian Cricket Team Potential – They will always have that potential till Rohit Sharma is in the team. But you can never expect quick results from them with the way BCCI is built. If you are going to let an organization with no accountability manage the affairs of the favorite sport of the country, you have to wait it out to let natural selection form the best team once in every 5 years or so. Then maybe you can win the WORLD CUP.
- Social Media Shame Posts – After the example of the Rohtak sisters and the current jasleen kaur case, I have been wary of sharing any shaming posts on Social media without any adequate representation from both sides. Although Social Media has done a lot of good recently in raising concern for serious issues, we have got to limit the herd mentality when it comes to sharing sensitive issues. Do your own investigation and ensure that both sides are represented before shaming someone’s son or husband for some crime that you are not even sure he has committed.
- Life Partner decisions – Take it from an experienced hand, choosing a life Partner should never be taken at Face Value. She/He may be pretty/handsome, but if you don’t delve deeper and try to find out a real connection, you will be staring down the barrel of some unfortunate decisions 6-12 months after marriage
- Abhishek Bacchan Solo Movies – Sure they have good production values. They might even have top level co stars. His dad might even manage to score some decent director.But you have to look beyond all this. When you are buying the tickets to an Abhishek Bacchan solo movie, you are investing in something whose returns are lower than the lottery. So please do some research before encouraging that guy. Buy your kids some ice cream instead.. Really
Well, I can only come up with this much now. But you understand the gist of it. Keep your minds open. Don’t follow the herd. Make informed decisions and stop disturbing others with your impulsive social media sharing.
Seriously, they should start a new Social media platform wherein everybody can keep on sharing their unchecked, impulsive and not at all thought out political beliefs (maybe – POLITICOBOOK). Maybe then the rest of us can lead a peaceful, stress free Social media existence.
P.S : – Will there be a time when we can be free of Social Media or is this only going to get worse? I miss those times, when people had to actually call or meet others to gossip about their fellow beings..