I have often wondered about my fascination with Bollywood music. In this modern age of Americanisation of India, where every other hit song is by some band called maroon 5, coldplay or some other rock band, my small playlist still consists of Hindi Movie hits. I have never known what “yellow” is or who my “wonderwall” is. The Tabla holds as much sway in my heart as the Guitaar.
But I want to expand my Music tastes outside India. I implore everyone
- Help me find a song as melodious and yet so sad as “ Zindagi kaisi yeh Paheli”
- Help me find an album with such a diverse range as “Dil Se”. Would you ever wish to listen to a song other than “Chaiyya Chaiyya” on a train
- Help me find a moment as tender as Shahrukh stealing a kiss from preity during her Sangeet in the song “Kal Ho na Ho”.
- Help me find a song as epic as “Bhari Barsaat mai Pee Lene de” for a drunkard party.
- Help me find something as good as “Abhi na Jao chhod ke” to express your heart’s desires.
And they are thinking of giving the Padma Award to Anu Malik. I agree that he solved the age old problem of how young romeos could climb multi storey buildings to reach their beloved darlings, but that doesn’t warrant a Padma Shri Award. Even Shiv Khera has solved better problems..